Portland Bagel Search (written by someone who just wants to find their favorite bagel)

Bagels made in my kitchen with assorted toppings.

Henry Higgin's poppy seed bagel topped with Nu Culture pimento paprika cashew spread.

I didn't grow up on the east coast so I don't have strong feelings about the attributes of a 'real' bagel - but I know the difference between Edible, Better, and Best. I grew up eating Sara Lee bagels from the supermarket, graduating to Safeway bakery jalepeño bagels in college, and I finally came to know the beauty of a proper bagel shop when I moved to Portland in 2014. Since my neighborhood bagelry Bridgetown closed last June, I have been considering my other bagel options with care - especially in this stay-at-home time we live where I can actually eat breakfast every morning. My own homemade bagels are good but I can only do so much with my tiny old oven that I have to light with a match. Not as chewy and tangy as I prefer.

So I've decided to do the research and find all of the housemade bagel options I could potentially try. I also learned about the 2018 loss of Bundy's Bagels after too much success, and how even after Bowery reached out to help, Bundy's seems to have vanished completely. I also learned about Kettleman, the standby bagel shop for so many Portlanders, and how when they sold to Einstein Bros. in 2012 it all went to shit. Then there's how Bagelworks endured a gas-leak explosion in 2016 and they haven't been able to reopen since (see GoFundMe). 

What's your favorite Portland bagel? Or maybe your favorite bagel recipe? Have I missed a bagel maker that should be added to this list? I'm doing this out of curiosity, out of a drive to support local businesses, and also because I want to find the most delicious bagel that makes my bagel dreams come true.
  1. Spielman. A solid sourdough boiled bagel with four locations across the city. They're currently offering online orders ($18/dozen) through their website. Favorite bagel: golden raisin fennel.
  2. Henry Higgins. I ate my fair share of Higgins boiled bagels when I worked at a local vegan bakery that sold them. These bagels are more dense than others but also a little more bang for your buck ($13/dozen). Currently offering orders through their website. Favorite bagel: jalepeño.
  3. Pop. Pretzel bagels from the people behind local bakery Nuvrei. Bagels sold at $27/dozen on their website with two half pints of cream cheese (no vegan spread options). Available for Saturday pick-up at their downtown location from 9am-1pm.
  4. Bowery. Available for delivery or carryout on their website (via Doordash - though on their website they also specify being available on UberEats, Caviar, GrubHub, and PostMates) for $18/dozen with to-go schmears that include vegan options (this is rare for online orders). I'm really interested in trying their cashew-based cream cheese.
  5. Bagel Land. Old Portland bagel shop established in 1976. Currently not taking online orders but seem to be open for takeout. I tried to call for information on pricing but got their voicemail. Usually $1.25/bagel. Old school shop, no fanciness or fluff.
  6. Bentley's. A couple, Scott & Sara, run the little shop & named the business after their bernese mountain dog. Currently open Friday-Sunday, available for pick-up and delivery. Accepting pre-orders via email. $17/dozen.
  7. Bernstein's. Currently open for delivery via their website on Saturdays & Sundays - but their pre-orders sell out QUICK (within the hour, launches Tuesdays at 9am). I really would like to try their vegan Mama Lil's schmear. A bit pricier: $24/dozen.
  8. Ben & Esther's.  Jewish deli that also offers other Jewish staples: knishes, matzo ball soup kits, black & white cookies, etc. Zero contact delivery available every Friday, $30 will get you a dozen bagels & two tubs of house cream cheese. Daily takeout available at $17/dozen. 
  9. Eisenhower BagelHouse - their website doesn't seem to be working & their instagram isn't up to date. A bagel shop that also has cocktails & beer. Housemade cashew cream cheese. Tried to call but the phone just kept ringing (no voicemail). No information found for price per dozen.
  10. Charlie's. Located next to VooDoo downtown, part of Charlie's Deli, usually open on the weekends. The deli is currently open for delivery but no bagels seem to be available. On Doordash they normally charge $29/dozen with 1lb of cream cheese.
  11. Puddletown. Food cart in Cartlandia. $13/dozen on the website, $14.25 on GrubHub. Seem to be available for takeout and delivery via Grubhub and other platforms. Also offer cheaper day-old bagels.
  12. Kenny & Zuke's Delicatessen. Currently not taking online orders. Usually $16.95/dozen. Used to be a stand-alone shop but since their recent closure bagels are only available at the deli.
  13. Kornblatt's Deli. New York Style Deli; isn't a dedicated bagel shop but offers bagels at $15/dozen. Warm neighborhood restaurant where every table is served a mason jar full of pickles. Open for takeout starting May 2nd from 9am-2pm, according to their Facebook. I'm assuming you just call the deli for pick-up.
  14. Blackheart Bagels. Wholesale bagel company run by one woman, usually available at your closest Green Zebra Grocery location. I called mine and they didn't have any in stock at the moment; they're usually sold in bags of 4. Their catering menu includes: "A dozen assorted bagels from the lovely, local, woman-owned Blackheart Bagels, sliced in half, served with cream cheese. (Serves 12-14)" for $40. Steep, but that's the catering menu so *shrugs*.

Comments

Popular Posts