10 Portland Small Businesses to Support


In thinking a lot about the small businesses I really pray will survive this plague, I figured I'd compile a list of some I hold close to my heart - and links for how to help them through these surreal times.
  1. Woodblock Chocolate. High quality chocolate and the perfect gift to send someone you're thinking about. I mentioned in an earlier post how much I love Woodblock: "Not only was the staff incredibly kind but the chocolate continues to be absolutely brilliant; whether you find a bar of Woodblock Chocolate or are able to order the mendiants for baking (or snacking), you will not be disappointed."
  2. Modern Times Brewery I will be transparent and let you know that Modern Times is my employer. That being said, all employees are also partial-owners in the company. As far as I can tell, we all care deeply about the quality of our offerings as well as each other. The higher ups have scrambled to make sure everyone is still getting paid and have found creative ways to make sure no one is laid off. Our beer is top notch, our food is stellar, we roast our own coffee beans, and even our merch is cozy and fantastic (peek this three eyed cats and kittens tee). Here are some quick links: beer delivery in PDX (there is also pick-up available), Portland food & beer pick-upbeer shipping in California, coffee (you can also donate coffee and pastries to health care workers), accessories, glassware, and apparel.
  3. Rovente Pizza. Our favorite pizza delivery, hands down. Reasonably priced, dependable, delicious, without frills or fronts. We have ordered Rovente regularly for years now and not once have they messed up our order or have we been disappointed. Pro-tip: sign up for emails to receive monthly codes for discount specials.
  4. Eb & Bean. So excited to receive our pints tomorrow! Eb & Bean is a local soft-serve shop that offers delicious dairy & non-dairy options, including the best coconut-based chocolate shell and vegan waffle cones around. Oh, and the natural rainbow sprinkles! They are offering limited pint and topping delivery on select days. Chocolate/confection bundles, gift cards, and shirts are also available.
  5. PaaDee. They were closed for several weeks but I am so pleased to have them back for take-out and delivery! This is the thai food restaurant that led my husband to see vegetables in a new light; we both regularly stare off into space thinking about their eggplant, pad kee mao, and green curry.
  6. Powell's Bookstore. Since libraries are closed indefinitely, Powell's has become my go-to with free delivery for shipments over $25. My current Stephen King phase can now continue with The Shining!
  7. Dinger's Deli. Best. Vegan. Sandwiches. Ever. Do yourself a favor and order some sammies for delivery or pick-up. They regularly sell out so I suggest jumping on it earlier in the day. The cold Italian is my favorite - and so big you'll be good for a meal and a half.
  8. Delicious Donuts. They catered our breakfast-for-dinner wedding reception! So kind, so fantastic, reasonably priced compared to other local donut shops, family-run, and definitely satisfies that morning sugar craving. The vegan options keep expanding and I look forward to seeing how the shop continues to grow.
  9. Aviv. The mushroom hummus! Fresh pita and falafel! Vegan Shawarma! Jackfruit briskit! A meal to get dressed up for, even if you're sitting at your dining room table. Available for pick-up and delivery.
  10. El Nutri Taco. I worked at a bakery for about a year that was particularly close to El Nutri and I made a habit out of eating their burritos once a week after work. I ended up going through the menu and trying every single burrito - enjoying each one of them. Favorites: Chencho's, simple, chile relleno, & lazy (basically a breakfast burrito). Everything on the menu can be made vegan! And their avo sauce is perfect.
Free coffee and beer, delivered with my paycheck. *crying with gratitude*

Comments

Popular Posts