Food52: A 10 Step Love Letter From My Home

Use my link for $20 off your first FOOD52 purchase of $50 or more!
https://food52.com/shopfood52/mCD5O

FOOD52 has been in my periphery for a handful of years now, that 'newer' cooking website (they've actually been around a decade) which continues to expand its offerings with mindful consideration and care. While Mother's Day internet shopping recently, I took a deep dive into their website for the first time and made a few purchases. Here is what I learned.
1. They make the best apron.
I've been toying with the idea of buying a new work apron and I simply couldn't pass up their Five Two Ultimate Apron. With 58 reviews at an overall 4.6/5 stars, an adjustable neck strap, sturdy fabric, and built-in potholders, this apron seems to be my absolute dream. No more adjusting my neck strap by using a rubber band, slightly burning my fingertips on a hot pan when gathering up my apron skirt in a pinch, or wondering why the linens from the restaurant delivery service always smell a little off. I'm actually excited to go back to work just to wear it! And my coworkers complimented my new apron, too - so there's that.
2. They want you to make the most of your tiny living space.
I've written before about my tiny kitchen and so can appreciate the beauty of a magnetic knife strip and a double-decker dish rack. Based in NYC, FOOD52 seems to understand the challenges of a teeny kitchen as much as I do. My favorite items are their magnetic storage solutions for the refrigerator and washing machines. See: this key storage box,  this laundry room pocket, this storage basket, this spice rack, and this refrigerator rack. Also see: this slim storage cart.
3. They want to make ordinary items look and work better.
How about adding a handle to a pretty mixing bowl? Or making your beverage cooler look like nice luggage?
4. They have a soft spot for handmade and vintage.
As do I. Which is why I love this bread box, this thermometer, and this glass cake stand.
5. They're here to help.
Have a question about cooking? Afraid to make a decision? There's a hotline for that.

When I ordered my apron from Food52, they accidentally sent me the matching magnetic silicone oven mitts instead. While the potholders are fantastic, I really wanted to receive my apron quickly so I would be able wear it to work. When I emailed customer care about the mix-up, they replied in less than 24 hours with an apology, a declaration that they would send my apron out ASAP, as well as the courteous mention that I could just feel free to enjoy the pot holders. Because they sent me the wrong item I now have brand new $40 oven mitts that I love plus my apron will match them perfectly.
6. They want you to get involved.
The majority of their recipes are created by online community members, many of which are "Test-Kitchen Approved." You can create an account and easily interact - posting your own recipes, commenting on other people's recipes, offering your input on future shop products, and even entering recipe contests.
7. They're a great stop to find gifts.
My mother is the hardest person to shop for. I don't want to keep buying her earrings (the only thing she always likes) and fresh flowers only last a week, so I settled on these felt flowers and a box of chocolates. Classic, no? She loved it. They also have some subscription gifts that seem neat: hot sauce, fruit of the month, pasta, dried herb wreaths, and adopting an olive tree.
8. They're instructional videos are A+.
Check out their YouTube channel and you'll find everything from how to sharpen your knife to  instructional recipes for tortelloni, summertime peach rolls, paneer bhurjee with english peas, etc. High quality, clear and concise.
9. FOOD52 was founded by two women.
Amanda Hesser is a food writer, former editor of New York Times Magazine, and author of the magnificent Essential New York Times Cookbook. Merrill Stubbs worked with the New York Times as a food writer and editor, was on staff at America's Test Kitchen, and also ran her own catering buisiness. Both have authored many FOOD52 exclusive cookbooks.
10. They motivate me to aspire for more.
I currently work in a kitchen with only one other female coworker. This is fine, but I have found that this assemblage of 'dudes' all tend to approach cooking culture in a manner that is foreign to me. They're interested in impressive knives and the meatiest of non-meats (I work in a vegan establishment) while I fold under the pressure of having the 'wrong' opinion.

I love my coworkers. That being said, I've noticed the difference between feminine-dominated kitchens and this restaurant kitchen - which is also the difference between a bakery and an eatery that serves microbrews and coffee on nitro. To put it in comparison, FOOD52 is soft and intelligent while similar businesses can often promote the gruff and competitive. As a queer woman with anxiety issues, FOOD52 makes me feel safe and welcomed.

They are also a catalyst pressing me to elicit solutions to everyday inconveniences, pushing me to search for better ways to approach everyday struggles. Want to make your bread look prettier? There's a loaf pan for that. Does your apartment feel stale but you don't have the budget to redecorate? They have a solution. Want to just watch people cooking at home to feel less alone? The FOOD52 content creators are in quarantine, too, and you can watch them making meals on their collective Instagram  in order to help you figure out what to prepare next.

I want to live, cook, and create in a home that feels like my personal nirvana. FOOD52 helps me to envision distinct, achievable possibilities to facilitate my ideal environment. I am a firm believer that immediate surroundings influence mental and physical health. That being said, I am here for what FOOD52 is putting out. Now that many of us have the time and energy to put effort into how we would most like our homes to make us feel, FOOD52 is a fabulous resource for insight and encouragement.

Comments

Popular Posts